I have been asked about the way I made my helmet. I definitely decided to do this costume at the last minute and didn’t have a ton of money to invest in it.
That said, I used mostly leftovers from other projects to make this.
First I started off with a face mask from Joann’s that I cut to fit the design. Then using that as a base I created a mold of my head by wrapping my head in saran wrap and then covering that with painter’s tape.
This mold I used as a patern for the craft foam base. I didnt take pictures of that part, sorry! I took basic craft foam and hot glued it into the shape of the painters tape mold. Then I took silk flower foam and carved a cone which was attached to the top of the head and then covered with even more craft foam.
Over that I took Elmers Wood Filler and coated the entire surface. I let that dry over night before starting the never endin process of sanding. Seriously I sanded for Days!!!!! I sanded until it was smooth, searched for grooves or cracks, covered those in more wood filler and then sanded some more.
Once I was happy with the evenness of the surface I began coating the helmet in gesso. I gave it several coats then sanded that too. Repeatedly.
Then I started the wings. I used the classic craft foam sandwiched between worbla method before heating it to mold the individual grooves and curves. I then repeated the entire wood filler/gesso/sanding method once again on both wings.
Between coats I sketched the engraving design on the helmet and carved it out with my dremel. I added a half pearl to the temple of the helmet.
Finally I attached the wings to the sides with hot glue and sprayed the whole thing with primer.
At last I spray painted it silver and attached dark cellophane to the eyes.
Hope this helps!